Monday, January 11, 2010

Mish Mash

Have you ever worked one of those claw machines? You know, the ones where you put in a couple of quarters, and try to maneuver the dangling claw over a toy, then let it drop and see if the claw will catch the toy? I have never met anyone who actually succeeded in getting one of those toys. They are always packed too hard for that wimpy claw to pick anything up. Well, Jonni and I were out running errands on Saturday, and we stopped at Steak 'n' Shake for lunch. (her very favorite) They had one of those machines, and Jonni was really good, and I happen to have a couple of quarters (rare), so we had a go. She put in the quarters, but wanted me to work the claw. AND I GOT ONE! I got a medium sized stuffed dog with little red hearts all over!! Can you believe it? Jonni was ecstatic with her dog, and now you know somebody who's gotten a prize from a claw machine!
Also on Saturday, Jonni started her first extra-curricular activity. We got a certificate for a business called the Education Station for 10 free weeks. It's kind of a supplementary type thing for gifted kids. Jonni qualified (about time she qualified for something!!), so we decided to give it a shot. Jonni had a freakin' blast, and can't wait to go back this Saturday.
We gave the kids capes for Christmas, and Erik is wearing one of his almost non-stop. He has dubbed himself Super Erik, and refuses to answer to anything else whilst the cape is on. It's hilarious.
I can't find my snow boots. I've been looking since around Thanksgiving time, I've turned my house upside down at least eight times, and they are nowhere. I mean, the house isn't that big. There are a limited number of places big snow boots can hide, but just in case, I even looked in the places they couldn't hide. No luck, and, as it is snowy outside, and I loathe cold wet feet (which is why I have snow boots in the first place), I decided to admit defeat and go buy new ones. I went everywhere there is to look in the closest town near mine, since mine town is eensy weensy and doesn't have a shoe store, (and yes, I'm not naming anything around me on purpose. take THAT you trollers!), and most didn't have any, and the ones that did, didn't have anything even remotely close to my size. The last place I looked in the big town was a hardware/feed store type place. No luck. They had some, but not my size. So I headed home (my feet, by the way, at this point were wet and totally frozen), dropped of my patient (ha!) and tired daughter, and went to the last place anywhere close to me that might have what I was looking for--the feed store right around the corner from us. And, *drumroll*, they had some! In my size! Oh, the irony! Only one pair though. The last pair in my size anywhere within a half an hour of my home. I snatched those up, and threatened to kiss the sales ladies that helped me out. They giggled and said they'd rather be kissed then hit, which is the usual reaction, apparently. The boots are perfect. Waterproof, fully lined, and they have an additional removable insert. Ah, bliss! Warm feet at last!
The Almighty Liz

2 comments:

timpani76 said...

I actually am good at those claw machines. Some are easier than others, and some are just impossible.

I want pics of the kids in capes! I love when I find anything after an exhaustive search. I usually exhaust myself on e-bay though ;)

Renae said...

I never let the kids even do those claw games. I hate throwing away my money! It's cool that you won!